Monday, December 10, 2007

Caulking Guns....Now thats a tool!





Alert! Alert! Boring Blog Ahead!

I couple of months ago I bought a caulking gun to re-caulk around the bathtub. Since, I have never used a caulking gun or caulked before, this didn't seem all that interesting. So, all the supplies stayed in its home depot bag until yesterday. Yesterday happened to be the day I decided it needed to be done once and for all. So, I read the directions....blah,blah, blah....cut the spout, and pierce the seal...blah,blah,blah (that's all the info we need for this post). So, after preparing and taping the area, my husband and I begin to prepare the caulking gun. After a lot of effort trying to get the lid off the caulking tube, I just cut of the tip with scissors. Husband however, worked on it a minute longer and discovered you just pull it off, instead of unscrewing the lid. Duh! (side note: this says nothing about our personalities)
Next, once more using the scissors, I clipped off the tip of the tube. Now it was time to poke a hole in the seal. As we were searching for something small and sharp enough to accomplish this job, husband found on the caulking gun a "spout cutter". Oops! This caulking gun had its own tip cutter! Neat! At this point, I realized if this caulking gun has a tip cutter, it should also have a small tool to piece the seal ...and sure enough it did. This caulking gun was loaded! To me the perfect tool for the job! After all was said and done, it took a whole 2 minutes to caulk around the tub. 20-30 minutes to prepare.

Is that it?! (Well, minus the preparation)

Is it possible that home improvement and maintenance seem very intimidating until we jump into a project. I have to keep saying that as we plan our demolition and renovating of our other bathroom. We have done a few small projects in the past and it has been true so far, I just hope it continues.

By the way, the caulking gun was around $10 at Home Depot; caulk around - $3; doing it yourself - priceless.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Way to go! I'm so impressed. You saved yourselves a zillion dollars and learned a few things at the same time. Win/win!