Monday, February 11, 2008

Brown Bananas


I hate wasting bananas. They are my favorite fruit.

If you are like me, it is always hard to gage how many bananas to buy for the week. So, when we don't eat them all before they are brown, I throw them in the freezer. It is too bad my Aunt, who loves brown bananas, doesn't live near by.

Anyway, its time to make banana bread. Here's my favorite recipe:

2 1/2 cups Whole-wheat flour
2 tsp Baking soda
1tsp Salt
1 cup Butter, soft at room temperature
1 1/2 cups Sugar
4 large/ripe Mashed Bananas (ok to use yellow bananas, just add more sugar)
4 Eggs
OR 4 tsp of Flax seed and 1/2 cup of water
1 cup Pecans or Walnuts

Preheat over to 350
Grease and flour 2 medium loaf pans
In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking soda, and salt
In a large bowl, beat (or hand mixer) together butter, sugar; gradually mashed bananas; then eggs or flaxseed/water and beat until completely mixed (mixture will look a little curdled). Add nuts. Then add the combined dry ingredients and mix until blended.

Pour evenly and equally into 2 prepared pans. Bake for 55-60 minutes until tooth pick comes out clean. (You may have to add 5-10 if using Flaxseed).
Let cool before serving.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Mmmmmmmm. Sounds delish. I wish I had an oven so I could try it. :-(

Allison said...

I always have a hard time buying bananas too. I don't want to get too many, but I also don't want too few. I really like bananas, but what a pain if you have to make a trip to the store in the middle of the week just to get some bananas. Sheesh. Maybe I will borrow your recipe and make banana bread out of our collection of brown bananas.