Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Family Product I Cannot Live Without, is…


For fun, I thought I would enter the "Does Mommy Love It? Group Writing Project" contest. If anyone interested, click on the banner or the link above. The contest ends this Sunday, February 24.

A family Product I cannot live without is....
Alrighty, this is tough to narrow down to just one thing. Personally, I can't live without a stash of chocolate, but that is not a family product... that's my chocolate. Or as Little Bean would say, "That's Mines!".
Today, I took a mental inventory of the things that we use, take for granted and cherish. We use too many paper towels, take for granted our washing machine (and the person who does the laundry!) and cherish the sweet sounds from the stereo. However, the one product that we can't live without is our cellphones.
We used to be anti-cellphones until the day I was driving in a snow storm 5 miles/hr for 3 hours heading to pick-up daughter #1. Her daycare was only 10 miles away from my work, but I did not reach her until 2 hours after her daycare closed at 8 pm. Driving on snow covered icy roads didn't worry me as much as not knowing if my daughter was safe. After that day, we didn't hesitate to purchase our 1st cellphone.
Now, we have 3 for a family of 4.
The cellphone has become our main resource for staying connected not only with ourselves but with our extended family. Those roll-over-minutes really do come in handy. Little Bean's first ride in a swing can be captured by the cellphone camera and sent quickly to her father in a meeting and her grandparents in their separate corners of the world.
Now if you ask my husband, he will say Comet and daughter #1 would say the Swifter sweeper/vac. Notice they both have to do with cleaning. Cleaning is a big issue in our home, especially with a messy toddler who throws food. However, I can live with a messy home that looks like a college dining hall after a food fight. The fact is, staying connected with our immediate family and extended family means the world to each of us and no cleaning product can replace that.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Post! You sure are right about cell phones! Amazing how once you have children they become so needed!
Thanks for playing!

Anonymous said...

I agree, a cell phone is a MUST these days! (and my son also says "that's mines!!)

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more about the cell phone! I have needed to get in touch with my son's preschool before and I was so glad to have my phone with me!

missy said...

First, chocolate is most definitely a family product...I'd be a MUCH more terrible mother some days if I didn't have it!! See, good for the entire family!

I love our cell phones as well. I can't imagine what we did before we had them!

JENN said...

Missy, I got a little teary eyed when you pointed out how important chocolate is to our family well-being. You are right! Thank you!

Jennifer said...

I don't know how people survived before cell phones! Good thing we don't have to try surviving without chocolate.

LunaMoonbeam said...

Oh, awesome! I'm a cell phone junkie...I can't go anywhere without it. And they make awesome toys for toddlers. ;-) At least, that's what she thinks!

Julie Donahue said...

Was there life before cell phones? I can't seem to remember! What did we do when we couldn't reach someone any hour of any day?!