Saturday, November 10, 2007

Ahhh... where do I begin?


Last night was tough for me. I was really tired and welcomed sleep at 9:30 pm. However, I wanted to skim through a book I just picked up from the library. "Early -Start Potty Training" by Linda Sonna, PhD. After reading the Forward and Preface, I was up for another hour feeling anxious and disturbed.

Previously, I had informally started potty training my little bean at 18 months after some prodding from my Mother. (Side note: In the area of potty training I have to admit my Mother is very wise). I went out and bought her a toilet seat and had her sit on it before her bath each evening to avoid her daily peeing in the tub. Sometimes it worked for us and sometimes it didn't. No big deal... she is only 18 months. I keep reading to wait to toilet train around 2 1/2-3 yrs old because it is easier and less traumatic for the child.

Now after reading a few pages of "Early-Start Potty Training", I feel like an idiot. The first story in the book talks about a Chinese woman who has a potty trained 4-month old! (Hmm... you think that baby was traumatized?) Then I read how thinking about potty training has changed over the years in the western world. Back in the 1900 women started potty training their 2-3 month olds due to lack of washing machines and the convenience of disposable diapers. (I wonder if our grandparents had post-traumatic syndrome from potty training) Then disposables came along in the 60's and convinced people that for the mental health of the child, keep them in diapers longer. This is the point were I was feeling a little sick. On top of that the Author has about 13 pages of endnotes/references to back her book up on how research contradicts the popular way we potty train our children today.

So, today, I went to Target, purchased a potty chair and some training pants. Little Bean already tells us when she has to go potty, she just goes before we reach the toilet. I am hoping the potty chair will make a quicker transition and the training pants will decrease the number of accidents.

Now all I have to do is start... Well maybe get some stickers as rewards and read a little more on the subject of potty training.

No comments: