Friday, January 18, 2008

Confessions of a Mom

Lately, I have been overly tired and lacking creativity (note the slow post production).
Why? Well... we can't get our 21 month old daughter to sleep in her own bed!

When we are out and about, Little Bean can really shine and impress people. Her communication skills are excellent, she does somersaults, walks backwards with her eyes closed and displays her ability to use the potty. A true toddler star (too innocent to be a show off). I often hear from other Mothers and Grandparents about their children/grand children's lack of speech at 18 -24 months and their shock that Little Bean is already potty trained.

I smile big in hopes to hide the bags under my eyes and answer their questions on her amazing skills. I usually fail to tell them, the inside story. The struggles at home, that cause turmoil inside me ... as for Little Bean, she is happy with her set-up.

I don't mind that Little Bean shares our bed, it is just hard to admit to other mother's who have children in their own beds, in their own rooms and no longer breastfeeding by 6 months. (Hopefully you can't see that last part. Thats another confession.)

We never set out to intentionally co-sleep or breastfeed beyond 1 year, like some families. It just worked out that way. Now what do I do?

Why is there so much pressure to start detaching from our children when they are 6 months?

Even Doctors are trained to put pressure on parents. Our family Dr. did. After a year of well-child check-ups, she confessed that she had similar issues with her daughter who is 6 months older than Little Bean. At Little Bean's 18 month check-up, she continued with the cautions and pressure, but also added, "eventually she will decide to stop when she is ready... "

I guess right now, I just need to accept and embrace our lifestyle. Especially knowing, we have a healthy and very happy little toddler.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Little Bean..choooo chweet. When i was a baby..i never allowed my parents to sleep at all..i used to screech all night! Enjoy it while it lasts..

Sara said...

I don't understand where they get these arbitrary dates for sleeping alone (and weaning, not that I read the fine print or anything). If you are all happy, then there's not a problem. Little Bean is obviously doing great. As for your sleeplessness, well, I hear you, and don't have any answers. Like your doctor said, she WILL sleep on her own one of these days.

Anonymous said...

what r gulab jamuns

JENN said...

Thanks Aayush! We enjoy Little Bean, including some of her naughtiness. It is just hard to enjoy the kicking in the ribs at 2 am.

As far as Gulab Jamuns... I'll have to write a post on them sometime. They are basically a milk ball in sweet rosewater syrup.
Here is a website - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulab_jamun

Momma Val said...

Yeah, what's up with the quit-breastfeeding-as-soon-as-you-can people? I say let it go naturally. Mine just turned one and they say that as they are able to eat more foods and get around by themselves they lose alot of interest . . . . . . I hope! I think I will kinda miss nursing my little guy when the time comes. I get sad when I see all the newborn clothes at the store. He's so big now. We must enjoy it for what it is, while we can.

JENN said...

Val,
I was in that camp of let her finish naturally. Now that she is almost 2, I am beginning to wonder what is "naturally" for her? For me, it is starting to get a very tiring.

Thanks for commenting!

Jennifer said...

I hear ya babe :)