Monday, March 10, 2008

Crafts with Little Bean (22 months)



I love doing craft projects! Last week, I figured out a new way to keep Little Bean busy while I'm cutting and gluing ( I guess my recreation therapy degree is kind of handy). I found these Kumon books at Target, in the activity book section (looks like they are a $1 cheaper online). She loves them. They are simple activities that help build fine motor skills.
If you decide to use them:
  • Check the front of the book to see what other resources you need(glue, kid scissors..etc).
  • Read the material and try them out with your child 1:1.
  • Make sure you cut out enough pages to keep your toddler busy before starting your own project. I recommend the sticker and paste books, the cutting books needs 1:1 attention.

Other activities that have worked in the past:
  • Paper and crayons (click here to see our favorite. Twistables are impossible for Little Bean to break and are erasable.-- Another option check-out Does Mommy Loves It)
  • Paper and stickers (her favorite) or sticker/color books
  • A variety of empty containers with lids. Little Bean spends a lot of time trying to twist off/pop off lids and trying to placing them back on. She also like putting things in them.
  • If all else fails, try finger painting with baby food ;)
Please note - all these activities , as you know, still need your supervision. Some of above objects are choking hazard. Since, you know you child, use your best judgment and modify as needed. I put Little Bean in her highchair at arms length away, so I can reach her for any reason.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhh, this seems a much more stimulating idea than sticking the youngster in front of a DVD while Mommy makes her jewellery. ;)

I've tried to tempt him with his own beading project, but sadly, it lasts all of 3 minutes.

Jennifer said...

Great ideas! I need to look for those twistables!