Thursday, April 3, 2008

Birthday Girl!

Speaking of party animals...

Little Bean is passed out after her birthday party this bright and sunny afternoon. She didn't touch her cake, so it's not from sugar withdrawal, but from dancing hard with her friends in their toddler mosh pit. I have always wanted to dance in the mosh pit, but today, I was equally intimidated by the roughness and tackling of 3 super cute, two year old girls. They would start off running in a fast circle, then one would stop and turn to hug the toddler behind her and fall to the floor. The 3rd would pile on top of them. Then they would roll back and forth running in to each other and laughing. See what I mean? Pretty scary.

I bombed miserably with being ready on time, with finger foods and cupcakes. I just put too much expectation on myself. However, I am frustrated that I didn't meet my own expectations. Planning and executing a simple toddler party is not hard and I have done it in the past. So what happened? I could blame my Mother for not helping, dirtying up dishes and watching t.v. while I washed her clothes so she can have something to wear (her luggage hasn't arrived yet). Or my husband was at work, Little Bean refused to let me do her hair, #1 daughter forgot her lunch and needed her homework emailed to her...etc. That said, I have no one to blame but myself.

Now, if either one of my best friends were here to help (or in my shoes) this would of been done with style and grace. Chef B, a pastry chef (hence the name), would of already had the house set-up and the food "product" chilling in the fridge before she went to bed the previous evening. HH is a perfect republican, who always wears the best perfume, and looks great under pressure.... need I say more? (Side note: we rarely talk politics and we don't attack the other with our point of views.Right HH?) I on the other hand had nothing ready, as far as food, but the plain cupcakes that needed to be frosted, before my 1st guest arrived. So, I spent the first 30 mins. of the party scrambling while the mothers talked and the kids played.

My mother hosted, while I prayed in my head, "Lord tie her tongue...take the words out of her mouth and muffle them so no one hears her..."

I should of given up on the finger food or put together cheese and crackers and called it a day. The most appetizing food on the table was the fish crackers, cupcakes and animal cookies.
I tried making new, simple vegetarian recipes that both toddlers and adults would enjoy. But quickly learned that was a big mistake. Only the one mother, born west of the Mississippi River (maybe a little farther west) understood and enjoyed the food.

On the bright side, and in the end
  • Little Bean and her friends had a blast!
  • The mommies will probably have interesting facts about me to tell their hubbies and friends.
  • I learned that cranberry cream cheese is not a crowd pleaser.
  • I will never do this again, without one of my best friends. So, put it on your calendars Chef B and HH.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LITTLE BEAN!

2 comments:

San Diego Momma/Two Funny Brains said...

Ahhh! My youngest turns two on Thursday and I STILL have not planned a party.

I'm exactly like you with parties...

I have planned some veggie meals and cool snacks and etc., etc., but I will probably go with pizza because I'm always that person who's still preparing food way after the party started.

Good to hear your daughter had fun! That's what matters.

p.s. Thanks for your nice comment on my blog. Great to hear from you!

Deb

Anonymous said...

Oooh...a belated happy birthday to my all time favourite...sweetie Little Bean :)
God bless her..