Sunday, April 6, 2008

Flower cake


Pastry Chef B gave me the challenge of decorating a cake for Little Bean's b-day. So when Chef B was out visiting a few weeks ago we went out and bought the cake pan. Later, she mailed the frosting tips, bags and coloring that I would need.

Now, if you read the last post you probably already figured out, I didn't get the cake done (not even started) for Little Bean's party. I barely had time to frost the cup cakes. However, I did try to make it yesterday for her family party.
I thought I had the leisure of the day to make it.
Ha! Husband was super sick and we spent the day at the doctor's office. Reached home in time to make her favorite dinner and started on the cake. After dinner I set out to decorate the cake. By 9:30 p.m. I was done (way past bed time, but Little Bean was waiting).

So here it is:
Note: The cake picture above is what the cake is supposed to look like, but different colors and slightly different design. The flower middle is supposed to be the same design, didn't quite get that effect.


Ran out of time and butter cream frosting. Learned after the fact, that you should double the Wilton Recipe. "The Wilton's recipe never makes enough." So, I kept adding milk to stretch the amount of frosting. By the time I got to the center, the frosting was a little too runny.



Here is a photo after we ate. Little Bean was trying to serve up more pieces. but was just slicing up the cake and the design. It was kind of painful to watch, but I was also proud to see her generous hospitality.


I will definitely try my hand at cake decorating again. It was a lot of fun.
However:
  1. I will allow enough time to bake and frost the cake 2-3 hours total
  2. Double the Wilton Recipe
  3. Take my time and fix the errors with a toothpick.
By the way, this was an Eggless Cherry Chocolate Chip cake. It turned out wonderful, my best eggless cake so far. I will share the recipe another time.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, your cake looks better than anything I can do. It looks delicious too! :) Can I have a piece?

Anonymous said...

The first time I made something like this, I was up ALL NIGHT making it.

Thank goodness, after that I took the Wilton classes (yes, I went overboard and took all 4), and got the time and amount of frosting down pretty well.

But I must say... looks fantastic.

PeeKay said...

awesome! I needed an eggless cupcake recipe yesterday but made some out of a bundt pan recipe from an eggless recipe. bundt NOT= cupcakes.

please share soon!