Friday, November 20, 2009

Winnie the Pooh

Anticipation

I was just remember the day I stood in line, at the bookstore waiting to see Winnie the Pooh. My older daughter, who was 4 years old at the time, learned about the visit from her preschool 2 weeks prior. WHY DO THEY ANNOUNCE THESE THINGS 2 WEEKS PRIOR TO THE EVENT AND TO A SMALL CHILD... I would never know! Everyday prior to the "Stuffed with Fluff" bear visiting our town, she made sure I know he was coming. She watched her Winnie the Pooh videos daily and insisted I read the Pooh stories at bedtime. So, you can imagine my relief, finally, standing in line waiting to see this bear.

The Line
We arrived at the small bookstore 10 minutes before Pooh's appearance and stood in a long line. The line end outside the door, weaved around the book stacks and ended at a platform set-up, similar to the kind you see at the mall for Santa. However, with the shelves high, and the crowd so dense, it was difficult for an adult to see Pooh on their tiptoes. So, my daughter only had the view of legs, purses and other children. She spent her time talking to me and children around her about her excitement of seeing Pooh. I spent my time trying to breath and fanning myself in hopes I wouldn't faint. However, I was assured, if I did faint, I would not hit the floor. I would of remained on my feet, held up by the people pushing against me. I am not exaggerating... if the fire marshal showed, that bookstore would of being shut down.

The Grand Finale
After being in line for 2 hrs (again, not exaggerating) and trying to bribe my daughter to leave, I can now see Winnie. Only 4 more kids to go! I can breath again, and hopes of lunch was in my future. I lifted my daughter up so she can see him too. However, the wait ended there and then in my arms. She looked at Pooh... her eyes widened... and I could read her mind - that bear was hugh! The Winnie the Pooh we know, is smaller than Christopher Robin and Christopher Robin, should be the size of a normal small child... right? This bear was NOT POOH! As soon as I put her down, she started making her way back through the line and out the door. I heard, "Excuse me... excuse me...." and saw the line parting, but no daughter. Thank goodness a friend recognized her and held onto her until I was able to catch up.

No tears, no discussion she just said, "I'm hungry". And we left.

Lessons learned:
1. I will not introduce Disney to my toddler until she is a teenage
2. I will ignore my child's pleads to stand in long lines to see humans in suits
3. Next time I will pack a lunch and send my husband

1 comment:

Sara said...

Ooh! Love the new blog design.

I can't imagine why anybody would want to get a young child worked up way in advance of the expected event.