Sunday, November 18, 2007

Time to get ready for Christmas? -- Enough about Potty Training Already

Each year Christmas hits me like a deer in headlights. Thats because I ignore all the signs and commercials until after Thanksgiving. However, I always tell myself "Self, if you wanted to make a gift for each person in your life, you needed to start earlier" . I love Christmas and the meaning of Christmas. I don't enjoy, shopping after October 31, having my kids sit on Santa's lap (I refuse, I just don't trust those men in the Santa suits), cheesy-over-done Christmas songs, over spending, and daily emails from Toys-r-us. I do like to have fun with my family around Christmas, baking, doing crafts, putting up the tree, singing loudly, playing games and watching movies (A Christmas Story is our annual favorite). The last 10 years my oldest daughter and I like to spend time making some of the gifts. This year is no different and we can't wait to get started.
Here's a list of some of the things we made in the past and may do again this year:

1. Older daughter's art work (when she was 5) and put them on t-shirts and mugs.

2. Crocheted hats

3. Rice heating pads

4. Fleece blankets with person's initials

5. Gift baskets with various interesting things like Homemade Pancake mix and syrup or canned salsa, pickles and other goodies made from our garden.

6. Mug with a bag of homemade hot chocolate, and candy dipped spoons. Along with homemade cookies and candy.

This year, like last, we are doing "Made in Maine" stuff including our own handmade and baked goods. This works out great with family and friends who don't live in the same state. In our case, all our family live in different states.
Last year, a friend sent us a package of items made in Iowa and I loved it. It was a small taste of home, so it very special to me.


Potty training update - Not going so well. It has been hit or miss lately. I think she does better when it is just me and her during the day. Right now she says "Potty" or "Diaper" when she wants our attention. When we start to take her she says "no-no-no", but most of the time we continue to just set her on the potty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like two of the stories I've read so far. They are very hilarious and enjoyable. As for your profile about digging a hole to get to China, I haven't read or heard a better answer to such a question. I'd give your blog a five out of a four star rating.